Pad Thai


When I lived in Florida there was an amazing Thai restaurant that I used to go to, I always ordered one of their specialties called hurricane shrimp. Because of my love for that dish I never actually ordered Pad Thai or had eaten it before... until I moved to Utah. When I went out to eat Thai food the other day, I was unimpressed with the restaurants attempt. Seeing as I don't cook much ethnic foods because I'm afraid I can't make it as well as most places I figured I could at least try because it might be better.

Pad Thai
Recipe adapted from Nongkran Daks


1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup shrimp
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 egg
1 chicken breast, thinly sliced and cooked
5 tablespoons pad thai sauce {recipe below}
4 oz rice noodles, cooked
1/2 teaspoon thai pepper flakes
roasted peanuts, crushed {unsalted}
scallions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup bean sprouts
cilantro and lime wedges, for garnish

  • In a wok, add the vegetable oil and garlic. Saute on medium heat and add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp turns pink and remove.
  • To the pan add the egg and once cooked, return the cooked shrimp and chicken.
  • Add the pad thai sauce and coat everything thoroughly.
  • Add the  noodles, thai pepper flakes, peanuts, scallions and bean sprouts and mix well. 
  • Garnish with more peanuts, bean sprouts, cilantro and a lime wedge.


Pad Thai Sauce:

1 cup tamarind concentrate
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup fish sauce

  • In a pan, add all of the ingredients and cook until the mixture becomes syrupy, about 1 hour.



Ashley

Comments

Popular Posts